Current discussion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Current discussion
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:49:25 -0400

In dealing with Emacs and GCC I am trying to prevent several problems
of different kinds, that come from different directions.  They could
be worse than the lack of an IDE in Emacs.

Many of the people now arguing do not care about some of these
problems.  Rather than recognize that I am acting rationally in a very
difficult situation, they are treating me with contempt, in effect
treating the GNU Project (which GNU Emacs as part of) as an obstacle
to their goals.  This is closed-minded as well as disrespectful.

Some are saying, "Give up, it's hopeless to avoid those problems," but
I suspect that is their wishful thinking.  They want me to give up
trying so they claim it is hopeless.

I will not give in to this pressure.  However, I also do not want to
reflexively do the opposite (as I would emotionally tend to do).  I
want to make a good decision after careful thought.  If some of those
problems really can't be avoided, I don't want to make useless
sacrifices to do so.  On the other hand, I don't want to conclude it
is useless because nay-sayers claim it is useless.

The way to do this is to discuss the issue with a few people,
privately, who will pay attention to the problems and help me find the
best course.

Eli, can you join in?
John Wiegley, how about you?

I would want to ask one of the GCC developers to participate,
and also someone who is an expert on IDEs.

--
Dr Richard Stallman