Re: [Request] seq-map and mapcar with arbitrary number of sequences

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Request] seq-map and mapcar with arbitrary number of sequences
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 16:51:04 -0400

  > Those two functions are used in a large number of places. Adding support
for a
  > "&rest seqs" argument rather than "seq" could impact performance, as it now
  > has to walk a one-element seqs to get the seq it had directly before. I
  > believe it would add another cons cell to the memory footprint, to package
the
  > argument?

We could add a facility to define a &rest function to specify
another function to handle the one-arg case.  That way, the simple
case now handled would be essentially as efficient as it is now,
interpreted.

Byte compiled, the optimiziation is easier since it can be done
purely inside the byte compiler.

--
Dr Richard Stallman