Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 01:10:37 +0300

On 10/11/2015 06:23 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

High-level design is not "big design".  Quite the contrary: it
generally leaves out all of the details, and documents only the main
design decisions.  Like which features will be included and which
definitely excluded, whether "fixed-window" appearance should be part
of it or not, etc.  You can call this "guidelines" if "design" sounds
too much.

Sounds good to me. Yes, "guidelines" is a more familiar term for that.

a significant number of users might prefer to use only some of the
parts.

That's OK, and I see no problem with that.

So we need to make sure that they can.

- It's background rendering is inconsistent. As an example, the first
time I evaluate (tooltip-show "abc") in an Emacs session, the background
is yellow-ish. The next time, and after that, the background is black.

This could be the result of the recent changes by Ken, to make
tooltips less "voracious", to use Martin's term.  Trying in an older
Emacs will tell.

No, that's a fairly old problem. And specific to GTK, IIUC.

- Is there a way to show several tooltips at once? To display different
elements of the completion UI side by side.

No, you need to lump them all together, or use menus.

Neither option is good enough.

- If a tooltip is displayed, and I Alt-Tab to another program's window,
the tooltip remains on top. This is by far the most annoying one.

Martin told you how to solve this, I think.

Yup.