Re: IDE

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 02:53:58 -0700

On 10/12/2015 02:45 AM, John Yates wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 10:45 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden
> <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:
>
>     All Richard was saying that a debugger front-end is an important
>     part of an IDE.
>

> Eli,
>
> With all due respect, while you may interpret Richard's words in that
> manner, that is not what he wrote.  I quoted at the top of my posting
> Richard's very first sentence that started this extended thread.  Here
> it is again in its entirety.:
>
>    > Emacs with GUD is an IDE.
>
> Given the amount of influence Richard will exert over efforts to fashion
> Emacs into something approximating a modern IDE I believe it is
> reasonable to wonder how familiar he is (or is willing to become) with
> such technologies.  When we had the long thread some while back about
> supporting completion and refactoring I got the sense that Richard was
> unfamiliar with the functionality and user experience of modern IDEs.
> IIRC he committed to seeking some outside guidance which might have
> included becoming more familiar with the current state of typical IDEs.
> If that has yet to happen I wonder how John's anticipated f2f discussion
> with Richard will go.

Well, Emacs with GUD is integrated with GDB, is for development, and is
an environment. That this combination still lacks some features of other
IDEs doesn't matter, since some heavyweight IDEs lack the features of
some others. (Is an IDE without autocompletion an IDE? Is an IDE without
automated refactoring tools an IDE? If not, which tools does it need?)

"IDE" isn't really a distinct category of program. There's a continuum
all the way from ed the standard editor to IntelliJ. We want to move
Emacs toward the latter, but there's no distinct point at which Emacs
will stop being a text editor and start being an IDE; according to some
people, it's already over that line.