Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:13:01 +0300

On 10/12/2015 06:02 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

My point was that what is important is the ability to separate
their display - not couple them in a hardcoded way.  Whether
separate frames are used for that is a separate question, and
less important.  (But yes, I too prefer separate frames.)

You should read the source code of Company. One can plug in a different frontend, and have different visualization as a result.

Separate frames allow not only elimination of wasted space, for
the reason you gave.  They can also be overlapped, which can be
useful for additional space savings.  IOW, sometimes you don't
need to see all of the contents of each frame, and you want to
additionally see other stuff on your display at the same time.
Frames allow great flexibility for screen real estate.

My frames are always fullscreen.

And for a complex input pattern, which might be multiline,
using a separate editing buffer (the minibuffer) is a plus, IMO.

Sure.

The user can disable the minor mode.

What does that mean?  Does it (can it) display the complete doc
string?

Everything is fine there, and the user is in control. Like I said, we have a separate command to display the doc in a new buffer.