Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 18:49:51 +0300

> Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 05:45:43 -0400
> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>,
> Brief Busters <address@hidden>
>
>     All Richard was saying that a debugger front-end is an important part of
> an
>     IDE.
>
> Eli,
>
> With all due respect, while you may interpret Richard's words in that manner,
> that is not what he wrote. I quoted at the top of my posting Richard's very
> first sentence that started this extended thread. Here it is again in its
> entirety.:
>
> > Emacs with GUD is an IDE.

I'll let it to Richard to tell which interpretation, yours or mine, is
closer to what he meant.

> Given the amount of influence Richard will exert over efforts to fashion Emacs
> into something approximating a modern IDE I believe it is reasonable to wonder
> how familiar he is (or is willing to become) with such technologies.

We don't usually ask people here to present their credentials before
they are allowed to speak up on some issue.  Nor do I think we should.

FWIW, I never saw Richard speaking about something without knowing the
issues, or asking some experts.

> When we had the long thread some while back about supporting
> completion and refactoring I got the sense that Richard was
> unfamiliar with the functionality and user experience of modern
> IDEs. IIRC he committed to seeking some outside guidance which might
> have included becoming more familiar with the current state of
> typical IDEs. If that has yet to happen I wonder how John's
> anticipated f2f discussion with Richard will go.

I suggest we leave that to the 2 participants ;-)