Re: New maintainer

From: Tom
Subject: Re: New maintainer
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 06:49:06 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Naturally -- because I think freedom is more important than technical
> progress.  Proprietary software offers plenty of technical "progress",
> but since I won't surrender my freedom to use it, as far as I'm
> concerned it is no progress at all.

Then there is no sense talking about competing with IDEs. IDEs provide
cutting edge features in the areas of completion and refactoring and
most users will only choose Emacs over an IDE if it provides a
a comparable level of these features.

Most users won't switch just because of the freedom aspect. They will
switch if Emacs is at least as good in these areas as their IDEs,
so if competing is the goal then catching up with popular IDEs
technically is unaviodable.