Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 21:21:46 +0200

"John Wiegley" <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

> A subset of Elisp that doesn't have dynamic binding might well produce
> code that could be of use to us,

That's what I had in mind all the time. We could aim to the subset of
Elisp that can be translated to a fast enough target code, while
remaining superior to C in convenience.

Or a more radical approach: a Lispy language, easy to learn by those who
already know Elisp, but which can be translated all the way to something
as performant as the current C code, while being capable of interacting
with it. This way, whenever someone needs fast code, he would use this
other dialect instead of writing C, or the slow Elisp (or avoiding the
task altogether.)