Re: master 1196e3f: (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): Sen

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: master 1196e3f: (tramp-open-connection-setup-interactive-shell): Send -onlcr as well.
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:09:07 +0200

Noah Friedman <address@hidden> writes:

> That's exactly the problem.  Tramp runs an "interactive" shell on the
> remote end; specifically, it sets "PS1".  That means that if your remote
> shell's .profile or .bashrc thinks you're interactive and runs "stty sane"
> as part of the usual login process, then the onlcr flag gets set and all of
> the output lines end with ^M.  Subsequently, after trying to search for
> commands to run on the remote end, tramp tries to send commands like
> "/usr/bin/ls^M -args" and concludes that there is no valid ls on the remote
> system.

I see. Strange enough, that nobody else did report ever.

> I've known for many years to put a guard in my .bashrc along the lines of
>
>       case $PS1 in '' ) return 0 ;; esac
>
> before doing anything that would confuse batch processing, but tramp was
> specifically defeating that.

Tramp sets TERM=dumb; you could test for it.

> And funny you should say the current settings have been used for years,
> because for years tramp hasn't worked for me and I finally got tired of
> trying it once in a while and seeing that it still didn't work.  I've been
> punting and setting up sshfs connections manually instead, but I was in a
> mood last week and decided to debug it.

sshfs has its merits, but when it comes to running processes on the
remote side, you need Tramp.

Well, I've pushed your patch also into the Tramp git repo. Let's see
whether people will kill us because of this. I plan to release Tramp
2.2.13 end of the year (if I survive), until then there's enough time to
get reports from people using either Emacs git master or Tramp git
master.

Thanks for all your work, and best regards, Michael.