Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 09:06:59 -0700

> Look at Java based IDEs - Idea, Eclipse, Netbeans, etc. All of them have
> been written in _slow_ Java (at least according to C standard) and run on
> _slow_ JVM. But all of them are able to attract more users that Emacs, which
> has core in blazing fast C.

> The truth is that nobody cares about performance as long as it is _good
> enough_.

This is absolutely not true. Lagginess and lack of performance are the primary
reasons I avoid Eclipse and IntelliJ as much as possible -- even when their
IDE features would otherwise make them a better choice for some projects.

I will not consider regressing the pleasantly snappy feel of Emacs.

John