emacs IDE features (was: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language)

From: Andrés Ramírez
Subject: emacs IDE features (was: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 16:22:15 -0500

Hi Przemysław.
> But *you* are a very small sample compared to those users, who have chosen
> those IDEs with *good enough* performance, but more features.

I left those IDE's because they freeze and when they do so. You need to
pray they would came back. On the contrary "Emacs is rock solid" and
just freezes when using the mail client (for a few seconds), surely Emacs
would come back after those few seconds. During
my 10 years (with the same machine) journey Emacs has crashed just a
couple of times and I have not been able to replicate the case when
Emacs has crashed.

Even if Emacs would add those required IDE's features. People are not
going to choose Emacs which has a different paradigm. Emacs users do not
tend to use the mouse a lot. Most People on the IDEs use a lot the
mouse. Besides that Emacs has a "steep learning curve". Emacs is an
extensible tool that's the reason people has different .emacs's
files. When You start with one of those predefined Emacs's setups, as
soon as you evolve your workflow You are going to start to modify your .emacs
according to your own personal needs.

Also IDE's are resource hungry. But this could be solved buying new
machines. I have been able of porting my Emacs setup to a 400 Mhz
machine and do some C work there. But probably most people won't do
that.

I think Cedet is a step in the Right direction. Cedet needs performance
improvements. And also more attention from the Emacs core. as John
pointed out "Let's setup an architecture first" for avoiding a lot of
duplicated effort and then start the work for on several iterations
adding more IDE's features to Emacs.

Then of course I should mention priorities:

- IDE's features
- Concurrency
- Guile Emacs future?. Guile Emacs has been on several Google summer of
code. Would it need to be on another one?. Or Emacs is going to move on
another direction?

And probably more features added to this list. Man power and team work
is not easy to find.

Regards