Re: IDE

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 23:14:49 +1100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

On 10/14/2015 05:45 AM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

This is how EDE (a part of CEDET) is setup and works. There are "projects", and in projects there are "targets". There are project build commands, and target build commands. Each project or target can have language specific features for setting up CEDET's parsers.

Is there a particular reason to have the notion of "target" in the project API?

i've been wondering this too; in a post to this list in August:

   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-08/msg00278.html

i wrote:

Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:
I'm also interested in how to resolve some of the misconceptions about EDE. Perhaps looking at what prevents it from being 'on by default', which I'm sure is a long list, is a good way to move it in the right direction, even if it never is on by default.

Well, say i'm developing a small Perl5 project - one main module, supported by two helper modules, all of which are pure Perl. When i look at the overview of EDE in the Emacs manual: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/EDE.html and read: A project may contain one or more targets. A target can be an object file, executable program, or some other type of file, which is “built” from one or more of the files in the project. i think to myself: "Okay, so EDE might be able to help me build (say) a .tar.gz when i feel the project is ready for release and distribution, but it's not relevant prior to that stage, since the source .pm files /are/ the executable files. There's nothing to 'build' during development and testing, so it seems i have no use for EDE during those phases." i would also guess that, similarly, EDE might not be that useful when developing in languages such as ELisp, Python or Ruby.
Am i wrong? What would using EDE get me in such contexts?

Alexis.