Re: IDE

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:17:24 -0500

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Ludlam <address@hidden> writes:

>>> But since it did come out in 2003, we really should be asking _why_ it
>>> isn't the answer to our present questions, in order to avoid the effort
>>> of creating CEDET2 and CEDET3.
>>
>> Based on the many emails I've seen on the topic, I suspect the answer is:
>>
>> * It is hard to configure (ie - setting up project files,
>>   include paths, or whatever.)
>> * Specific implementations are incomplete (ie - c++ || other parser is
>>   imperfect, the project system doesn't implement some feature, etc)
>> * It is compared against better staffed tools
>
> I got rid of it because it tended to eat all my CPU repeatedly digging
> through buffers and files in the background.  I don't want some tool to
> go treasure-hunting for hours in my directories without concrete cause,
> then restart for inscrutable reasons.
>
> It had its own idea of projects not matching the projects I was working
> with, and it's an absolute no-go for Emacs to meddle with project
> organization: I want to be able to jump in with Emacs into any project
> without any pre- or post-configuration.
>
> Maybe that's a decisive difference between what people got to expect
> from an IDE and I expect from Emacs: if someone develops stuff in Visual
> C++, everybody in the project is expected to use the project
> organization tools of the Visual C++ IDE.  But I don't want my choice of
> Emacs as an editor bleed all over a project.

That means CEDET needs to recognize your Visual C++ project, just like
the Visual C++ IDE does. CEDET does not currently support this.

> Now you'll say that EDE (or Semantic, or whatever other component) is
> entirely optional but it's hard to figure out just what the relations of
> the various parts of CEDET are.  If you want to just work with the code
> you have and not get stuff messed up, at some point of time it's easier
> to just forego the whole inscrutable package and simplify one's life.

You seem to be implying that something in CEDET was changing things on
the disk without your permission; is that what you are actually saying?

> Again, that's a main difference to what a normal IDE is doing: it tends
> to focus on a small set of languages and does them well when I buy into
> the IDE, and I can use IDE features as needed.

It's more than just the language; it's also the build tools and cross
reference tools, and the associated configuration files.

--
-- Stephe