Licensing of NEWS files?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Licensing of NEWS files?
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:58:30 +0200

Our various NEWS files, according to the license statement at the end,
are distributed under the GPL.  That seems sort of overkill.  At least
the older files are arguably not an integral part of the version of
Emacs they are distributed with, and it seems like we are doing nobody
including ourselves a favor by keeping people from quoting from the NEWS
file in some article they are doing about a new release.

What actually annoyed me is that the various NEWS files are all also
marked (c) 2015 in spite of not being really a part of the current
Emacs.  Granted, that did not annoy me as much for licensing reasons as
it did for making it unable to get a rough estimate when the various
major versions of Emacs had been released.

--
David Kastrup