Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 20:59:52 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I think any language which is "better" (i.e. is known by more
programmers) will have the same problems.

For October 2014 the TIOBE Programming Community index gives the following ratings for the ten most popular programming languages:

  19.543 Java
  16.190 C
   5.749 C++
   4.825 C#
   4.512 Python
   2.561 PHP
   2.462 VB.NET
   2.292 JavaScript
   2.247 Perl
   1.825 Ruby

Since 2002, the #1 language in this somewhat-volatile index has always been either C or Java. So, by this measure at least, the only plausible "better" language would be Java, and if we went back to October 2014 even Java would be off the table.

The TIOBE Index isn't a perfect measure, of course. And I am not advocating that we rewrite the Emacs core in Java. My point is merely that C is not an unpopular language. If we want something unpopular, we could try Cobol at 0.909, or Haskell at 0.290, or Clojure at 0.190....

My source:

http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/tiobe_index (retrieved 2015-10-11)