Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:33:45 +0300

On 10/12/2015 03:37 PM, Oleh Krehel wrote:

Eventually, yes. But it's hard for me to figure out how to make the text
and the overlays work together while the text is being updated.  Perhaps
I should try Sublime/Atom at least once, just to see how it's done
there.

Not sure how looking at Atom would help, but you should absolutely try it. It's Free Software, after all.

Here's what (semantic-fetch-tags) returns:

A similar data structure *has* to be somewhere in the GCC innards: it's
a first step for compilation. In addition, this information is used to
point out compilation errors/warnings.
This data structure would know all defined functions/variables/types.
For instance, it would know that the class QPushButton is defined in
qpushbutton.h at line 57, and it inherits from QAbstractButton.

You have to find out what the type of the call target is, first.

In your example, it's rather easy: "QPushButton quit" is right on the previous line.

But what if we're at the end of a chain of calls, like

app->window->resolve_handler(bar).|

?

And resolve_handler is overloaded, and its return type is dependent on the type of its argument?

What if `bar' is declared as `auto' (see C++11)? Or `app' itself?

I'm fairly sure an experienced C++ tooling developer could add other complicated examples.