Re: Making --with-wide-int the default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Making --with-wide-int the default
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 11:24:35 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 10:31:32 +0200
>>
>> I don't it's sensible to configure a non-native default turning
>> everything into multiple-register operations and obliterating compact
>> data structures matching the architecture's choices.
>
> We only use 64-bit types in EMACS_INT, i.e. variables that reference
> buffer and string positions.  All the rest is kept intact.
>
> What is "non-native" about 'long long int'?
>
> Do you really use 32-bit GNU/Linux machines?  I cannot even easily
> find such beasts.

Uh, that's not hard.  I don't say that my CPU is incapable of going
64bit.  But the system is 32bit mainly for disk space reasons (SSD).
For a while, I even had a 64bit kernel running with a 32bit userland
(which allowed me to create 64-bit executables and test them as well as
the default 32-bit executables), but since this computer was given to me
as a replacement for a computer where the hardware gave up, I am stuck
to now having an NVidia card and the stupid binary-blob driver fails to
figure out how to compile in a 64-bit kernel when the userland is
32-bit.

So I am currently back again to a 32-bit kernel as well as to a 32-bit
system.

--
David Kastrup