Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 13:27:21 +0300

On 10/16/2015 10:39 AM, Przemysław Wojnowski wrote:

IIUC someone developing an EDE support (a plugin?) for a build tool can
provide as many as s/he wants, right? For example for a build tool a
developer may provide only two definitions: clean and build.

No, they'll have to extend every relevant project type (thus creating new types), and in each of them, define clean and build. Or something along these lines.

Any user-defined types will miss out, because the author of the build tool support is not aware of them.

I think that two more features would be helpful:
- composition of tasks (e.g. run "clean" before "build")

Don't build tools do that?

- allow user to add own tasks (could be customizations of default tasks,
like "compile --with-debug-symbols").

The command line could be made editable when the "call build tool" command is invoked with a prefix.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but EDE (xref and project.el) are open for
modifications, right? It not "take it as it is or leave it".

Probably. Not sure what you're really asking. For modifications by whom and how?

BTW Why EDE (and CEDET) are in two different repositories (and projects?).
One is in Emacs sources, another here
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cedet/ ?

CEDET is in Emacs sources as well (although is has some omissions). See lisp/cedet.