Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:28:26 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:29:00 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden

>> > String handling is partly delegated to GNU libunistring.  There’s no
>> > other library involved.
>>
>> What about libiconv?  It would appear that parts of it are in the GUILE
>> source tree (admittedly, under GNU control).
>
> libunistring calls libiconv.

Optionally.  And GUILE includes parts of libiconv and calls them itself.

I'm just pointing out that this is quite nontrivial to bring up to Emacs
standards in string processing because so many dependencies are
involved, most of them having a rather simplistic view of invalid or
overlong byte sequences and characters outside of the Unicode range.

They don't allow as many character codes as Emacs needs to represent its
various inputs.

--
David Kastrup