Re: emacs IDE features

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: emacs IDE features
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 16:13:54 -0700

> I'd add number 4. Support Java properly. It's one of the most common
> languages in the world, and Emacs doesn't work with it.

As a core Emacs developer who doesn't use Java, it's hard to make that a
"mission statement" for the whole emacs-devel team.

However, I'd very much like it if someone could step up and volunteer as "Java
technical lead" to support this use case. I'd expect such a person to work
with the maintainers to imagine a better environment -- in the context of our
larger IDE discussion-- and engage others to help get the coding done. It is,
as you say, a large user base.

What do you think, Phillip? :)  Or anyone else?

In fact, we stand in need of several individuals, willing to take charge of
different aspects of Emacs where not all of us have expertise. I'd love to
find several such "group leads", so we ensure that every aspect of Emacs
receives constant attention. For example, we need people who are willing to
lead in the areas of:

    - Documentation
    - Each major language
    - Core libraries
    - External resources
    - Contributor well-being
    - Each supported platform
    - Performance
    - etc.

If you think you aren't up to it, you probably are, more than you think.
Dunning-Kruger strikes us all. :)

John