Re: IDE

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 19:38:56 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: John Wiegley <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 10:39:51 +0200
>
> > Could it be that we don't understand the answer?
> >
> > I'd suggest to be very careful with such conclusions.  They can only
> > be valid when based on a detailed analysis of what is and isn't in
> > CEDET, and on good knowledge and understanding of its design and
> > implementation.
>
> If we wanted that, we would be using vi.

Since vi isn't part of Emacs, this is irrelevant.

> I'm old and experienced enough that I have the arrogance to claim that
> something that is too hard for me to understand and/or use effectively
> after putting in a reasonable amount of effort is not a generally useful
> tool.

I'm older, but until now there wasn't a single thing I wanted to
understand and/or use effectively that I couldn't.  I guess our idea
of "reasonable amount" differs.

> > My impression so far is that neither is particularly true, and my
> > evidence is the number of times Eric and David Engster described some
> > CEDET features that came as a surprise to us.
>
> Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Not if we pretend to claim we know what CEDET is.

> M-x grep RET works a lot smoother than M-! grep and the kind of
> difference between the two are where Emacs shines, providing the editor
> connection to technology.

That's fine.  IDE isn't for everyone.