Re: emacs IDE features

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: emacs IDE features
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 10:34:43 +0800

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM, Sacha Chua <address@hidden> wrote:

> John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:
>> Someone who is willing to keep an eye on things like
>> reddit.com/r/emacs, emacswiki.org, and other external resources, that
>> really have nothing to do with emacs-devel at all. This would largely
>> be a non-technical role: more a "community liaison" type of thing. Are
>> the informational and educational needs of the community being mit?
>> If I could pick anyone for this, it would be Sacha Chua. She has already been

> It would be pretty cool to get something similar to Linux Weekly News
> going

I think something like Git's "Git Rev News"[1] and "What's cooking in
git.git"[2] would be great.

For the community outside of emacs-devel, it can provide useful
information about the development status (new features in master,
long-term branches progress, etc.), maintainer changes, Emacs internal
structure, and interesting discussions on emacs-devel.

For Emacs developers who don't follow emacs-devel and bug-gnu-emacs
closely, it can provide some important announcement about Emacs
development, e.g., feature freeze, workflow changes (VCS, ChangeLog,
commit message format, development branches), GNU ELPA development
process changes, new developers, and so on.

It can also provide some information for core developers about the rest
of the community, like downstream projects (Emacs Mac port, Aquamacs,
etc.) and interesting new packages.  It can even contain some cool new
features in the competitors of Emacs, for the sake of inspiration.

For the whole Emacs community, it can provide useful information by
linking to interesting articles and discussions about how to do various
things with Emacs.

2 cents, of course.

[1] A (monthly, IIRC) digest of all things Git, from core development to
    Git-related articles, tools, and projects.
[2] Reports about the current status and development direction of Git.