JSON mode

From: Simen Heggestøyl
Subject: JSON mode
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 12:27:12 +0200

Hi!

With the newly introduced json-sexp-mode, I was reminded of a JSON
editing mode that I started toying with some time ago, and have been
using privately.

It arose from my frustration of Emacs having _javascript_ mode as the
JSON editing mode, making it more difficult than necessary to have
separate settings for editing _javascript_ and JSON.

The code can be found at: http://folk.uio.no/simenheg/json-mode.el.

Compared to using the built-in _javascript_ mode, the dedicated JSON
mode offers the following advantages:

 - A separate mode hook and namespace, providing for instance
   `json-mode-indent-offset'.

 - SMIE based movement and indentation.

 - Key bindings and a menu entry for prettifying JSON data.

 - Separate highlighting of JSON keywords, object names and values.

If you agree with me that Emacs should have a dedicated mode for
editing JSON, I'll be happy to help integrating it (be it this mode,
or another one, if it proves insufficient).

-- Simen