Re: IDE

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:28:11 +0200

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> David Engster writes:
>> It doesn't help that Emacs is a very conservative piece of software. A
>> good example was already given: C++ includes without an extension. By
>> default, Emacs will open such files in fundamental mode.
>
> If I use /usr/bin/file on such an include, it happily tells me it's been
> looking at "C++ source, ASCII text".  So instead of insisting on a known
> extension to determine the major mode, Emacs could check what the file
> mode is supposed to be in its absence before falling back to fundamental
> mode.

Emacs can do that.

magic-mode-alist is a variable defined in ‘files.el’.
Its value is nil

  This variable may be risky if used as a file-local variable.

Documentation:
Alist of buffer beginnings vs. corresponding major mode functions.
Each element looks like (REGEXP . FUNCTION) or (MATCH-FUNCTION . FUNCTION).
After visiting a file, if REGEXP matches the text at the beginning of the
buffer, or calling MATCH-FUNCTION returns non-nil, ‘normal-mode’ will
call FUNCTION rather than allowing ‘auto-mode-alist’ to decide the buffer’s
major mode.

If FUNCTION is nil, then it is not called.  (That is a way of saying
"allow ‘auto-mode-alist’ to decide for these files.")

[back]

--
David Kastrup