Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language

From: Gian Uberto Lauri
Subject: Re: Emacs rewrite in a maintainable language
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 09:45:19 +0200

John Wiegley writes:

 > > One of the major lessons Emacs development learned since Emacs
 > > 20.1 is that raw bytes happen as part of text (a.k.a. "strings"),
 > > and therefore there's a need to support a mixture of these two in
 > > the same buffer/string. I think that's something Guile should
 > > support as well, as that will make it a more powerful and
 > > flexible extension language, able to deal with a wider range of
 > > real-life situations.
 >
 > I'd like to second Eli's recommendation. In real life, encoding and
 > decoding of bytes to and from characters (codepoints) is never a
 > simple problem. We do need good flexibility here.

My very humble opinion is that it Guile should acquire such a string
type it could gain a big edge over more used programming languages.

--
 /\           ___                                    Ubuntu: ancient
/___/\_|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____               African word

Warning: gnome-config-daemon considered more dangerous than GOTO