Re: vc-next-action RCS vs hg: copies the entry of ChangeLog

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: vc-next-action RCS vs hg: copies the entry of ChangeLog
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:45:35 +0300

>>> "Dmitry" == Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

   > On 10/19/2015 12:15 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:
   >> Ok, but git log
   >> prints the commit msg and the relevant ChangeLog entry
   >> (of that directory I presume.)
   >>
   >> Hg log seems not to have that feature.

   > hg log -v.

No, this does not display the content of the ChangeLog!!!

Let me try to resume.

HG
    -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcomment" into the ChangeLog

    -  From the command line: hg commit -m "test msg"

    -  From the command line: hg log -v

*Only* the comment "test msg" is displayed

GIT

    -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcomment" into the ChangeLog

    -  From the command line: git commit -am "test msg"

    -  From the command line: git log

*Only* the comment "test msg" is displayed!!

Now I use Emacs.

GIT

    -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcommentEmacs" into the ChangeLog

    -  vc-next-action:  "test msgEmacs"

    -  vc-print-log: both comments are shown  "CHLcommentEmacs" and  "test
 msgEmacs"

    - from the command line git log shows also *BOTH*

HG
    -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcommentEmacs" into the ChangeLog

    -  vc-next-action:  "test msgEmacs"

    -  vc-print-log: only    "test msgEmacs" is displayed

    -       from the command line hg log only shows  "test msgEmacs"

So it seems the culprit is Emacs, when it commits using git is also
inserts part of the ChangeLog, otherwise I don't understand the
different behavior of

 git log