Re: vc-next-action RCS vs hg: copies the entry of ChangeLog

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: vc-next-action RCS vs hg: copies the entry of ChangeLog
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 13:51:08 +0300

On 10/19/2015 01:45 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote:

    > hg log -v.

No, this does not display the content of the ChangeLog!!!

Right. It shows the full contents of commit messages. Which should have ChangeLog entries in them, if you committed from inside Emacs, using vc-next-action.

Let me try to resume.

HG
     -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcomment" into the ChangeLog

     -  From the command line: hg commit -m "test msg"

     -  From the command line: hg log -v

*Only* the comment "test msg" is displayed

Indeed.

Now I use Emacs.

GIT
HG
     -  Edit a file and enter a comment "CHLcommentEmacs" into the ChangeLog

     -  vc-next-action:  "test msgEmacs"

     -  vc-print-log: only    "test msgEmacs" is displayed

Because, like I explained in this very thread, vc-hg-print-log doesn't use the '-v' argument when calling 'hg log'.

     -       from the command line hg log only shows  "test msgEmacs"

Call 'hg log -v' at this step.

So it seems the culprit is Emacs, when it commits using git is also
inserts part of the ChangeLog, otherwise I don't understand the
different behavior of

  git log

 From the command line.

'git log' doesn't need '-v'.