RE: [elpa] master 9173a44 1/2: [Fix #12] Don't autodisable beacon on hl-

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [elpa] master 9173a44 1/2: [Fix #12] Don't autodisable beacon on hl-line-mode
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 07:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

> I was looking for more info on defcustom vs setq and I was surprised
> to find subjective text written in first person (like a personal blog)
> in the GNU Emacs manual. I have yet to check if the same is in the
> Info manual too.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/eintr/defcustom.html
>
> "The custom-set-variables function works somewhat differently than a
> setq. While I have never learned the differences, I modify the
> custom-set-variables expressions in my .emacs file by hand: I make the
> changes in what appears to me to be a reasonable manner and have not
> had any problems."
>
> "Over time, I have set a considerable number of faces. Some of the
> time, I re-set them using customize; other times, I simply edit the
> custom-set-faces expression in my.emacs file itself."
>
> "I myself use customize for hardly anything. Mostly, I write
> expressions myself."
>
> Who is that "I"? I think all that personal opinion text should be
> removed. Correct?

See bug #21695:
http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=21695#8

It might have been OK to say "I have never learned the
differences"  when that was first written, but by now the
manual should understand the differences, and even point
them out.  Especially in that section, which is about
`defcustom'.  The node says:

 "Although you can use 'defvar' or 'setq' for variables that
 users set, the 'defcustom' macro is designed for the job."

Part of its design for that job is handling `:type', `:set'
`:initialize', etc., precisely what makes options different
from ordinary variables and thus `custom-set-variables'
different from `setq'.