Re: IDE

From: Eric Ludlam
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 21:25:03 -0400

On 10/18/2015 01:28 PM, David Kastrup wrote:
I think that if CEDET fell apart into more independently accessible,
usable, and changeable parts, it might gather more buy-in on its
independent components.  Of course, having a separate repository that
has diverged from the versions in upstream Emacs does not exactly help
with having contributors become active on just their favorite parts of
it.

There are many examples where different developers with none to minimal help have successfully:

* Added new language parsers
* created new EDE project types and detection schemes
* Added support for new code generation steps.
* built whole new language independent tools using APIs from semantic

The core parts of CEDET is all about allowing extension by having well defined interfaces, and clear places where your custom thing can diverge and grow.

Many of the contributed pieces are in the upstream "contrib" area when they couldn't not provide assignment, and some are part of CEDET when we do have assignments.

I think it is instead more fun and easier to go off and whip up your own thing wrapping up some external tool than it is to become part of something else.

Also, I'm not much of a verbose advocate, which is probably what is needed here.

Eric