Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:28:55 +0300

On 10/20/2015 04:03 AM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

We should poke at this.  Can you share a little about what your tool
does?  Then perhaps we hypothesize about the efficacy of integrating
into CEDET as an example of integrating external tools.

It probably wouldn't gain too much from CEDET integration.

It has:

- Server, serving JSON over HTTP, with a RPC-like protocol.

- Emacs client in the shape of a minor mode. It defines a completion-at-point-functions element and a keymap with essentially three commands: "jump to the definition", "jump back", "show documentation for the method at point".

- To determine the current context (which would be similar to "current tag" in Semantic), it calls ruby-add-log-current-method and parses the returned string. I've improved that function in ruby-mode a year or two ago, and it's pretty accurate.

Robe is also pretty hacky compared to most other similar tools:

- The server loads itself into and runs from an REPL buffer. We either expect the user to already have such a REPL running (with the project loaded), or offer to launch one automatically (which fails in certain configurations).

- It doesn't support multiple projects in the same Emacs session.

- It misses some trivial opportunities to infer the type of a local variable. That would be my first priority to work on... when I deal with all that project and xref stuff in the core, I guess.

Lives here: https://github.com/dgutov/robe/