Re: IDE

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:23:13 +0200

> Option one: we allow search-path to depend on default-directory (in
> addition to the current project). Then the user can employ VC as a
> backend for projects, and yet have several different applications
> inside that repository. I'm describing this on the basis of one of the
> projects we have at work.

> Option two: we disallow search-path depending on
> default-directory. Then, for the same project, VC can't be the
> backend, and the "project" will have to be split into several (VC
> can't be used as a backend heere). Which will make at least as much
> sense. It will require a special project type for Ruby, based on the
> presence of Gemfile.

With maven, I might do something like this:
 project/
   pom.xml
   .git/
   module1/
     pom.xml
     .git/
   module2/
     pom.xml
     .git/

The same projects in an eclipse workspace, might look something like
this:
 workspace/
   module1/
     pom.xml
     .git/
   module2/
     pom.xml
     .git/

Or perhaps something like this (if the parent also has common settings I
would like easily editable).
 workspace/
   project/
     pom.xml
     .git/
   module1/
     pom.xml
     .git/
   module2/
     pom.xml
     .git/

If the project was to be only edited with emacs, I would go for the top
layout, however if I was to edit the same projects in both emacs and
eclipse, it should handle the latter two layouts as well (though the
bottom one doesn't work too well with command line maven).