Re: [Emacs-diffs] master cfc34c1: Update the way directories are compres

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master cfc34c1: Update the way directories are compressed
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:03:08 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:

         Stefan "who wonders where we can find a tar that doesn't
                 support -z nowadays (ancient Unix? home router?), so
                 maybe the comment should include some info about the
                 particular circumstance where "tar -z" doesn't exist"

How about the central server in my department?

$ tar -czf - /etc/passwd
tar: z: unknown function modifier
Usage: tar {c|r|t|u|address@hidden [blocksize] [tarfile] [size] [exclude-file...] {file | -I include-file | -C directory file}...
$ ls -l /usr/sbin/tar
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root bin 77920 Apr 20 2011 /usr/sbin/tar

This is Solaris 10, which is still shipping and which Oracle says it will support until at least the year 2021. Solaris 11 added -z, but there are still quite a few Solaris 10 hosts out there.

Also, AIX 7.1, the current release, has a tar that lacks -z. I can't easily check HP-UX, but wouldn't be surprised if it's like AIX.

Feel free to add this to the comments.