Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:17:59 +0300

On 10/22/2015 04:35 AM, Eric Ludlam wrote:

I assumed auto-complete and company were important because the ROBE
documentation talked about how it supported those tools.

Oh, right. Sorry.

I'm not sure what is relevant here as far as listing features. There are
12 minor modes that come with semantic doing various diverse things.
Things like idle-summary-mode will show you an api summary of the symbol
under point.

Robe already supports eldoc-mode. If idle-summary-mode has some UI advantages, I believe they should be folded into eldoc-mode as well.

There is COGRE which can pull data from the
buffer, reference some databases, and pop up a uml diagram of your code
which is a bit over-the-top.

COGRE sounds good, but I imagine it'll need more support than just dumping the AST.

And I can't get it to do anything (here's the documentation for automatic generation: http://www.randomsample.de/cedetdocs/cogre/Semantic-Support.html#Semantic-Support, and trying to interact with the editor manually leads to "eieio-oref: eieio-oref called on a class: cogre-class", etc).

It's also not in Emacs, for some reason.

It is called eassist.  Looks like I was remembering it from 2006, so not
sure how it will work with recent Emacs changes.

I've taken a look, and it works okay as an alternative to IMenu, but jumping to method at point doesn't work (shows an error).

Ah, I see.  I hadn't considered a workflow like this.  I can see how
that would be useful.  I haven't thought about how to solve that
problem.  I suspect the tooling would be custom where it knows more
about the language, and can infer intent based on things like 'virtual'
or the prospect of there being overrides.

The tooling needs to be smart enough, of course.

Java IDEs support workflows like that, and I think they're more important than speedbar or showing breadcrumbs (*).

Just to let you know where my priorities are. Here's the current plan for that feature, by the way: https://github.com/nonsequitur/inf-ruby/issues/76#issuecomment-150182991

(*) Other things that the users ask for is fuzzy completion, showing completions right away after dot (Robe isn't fast enough for that) and working over TRAMP inside a Vagrant environment. It doesn't seem like CEDET integration will help with any of those.