Re: Another others for maintainer?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: Another others for maintainer?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 00:06:18 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> P.S. I think many people don't realize how many simple, mundane tasks
> are part of what we call "Emacs maintenance".  Stuff like fixing
> spelling errors, committing auto-generated files, fixing unsafe or
> sub-optimal code revealed by compiler warnings, closing bugs that were
> resolved but left open, merging bug reports for the same bug, fixing
> typos in generated log messages, managing our mailing lists and the
> Web site -- all this is part of the job.  That we currently have a few
> kind people like Glenn, Paul, Juanma, and others silently doing this
> behind the scenes (look at "git log" to see what I mean) is sheer
> luck.  People who want to help could start with these small but
> important tasks.  With time and experience, they will gain confidence
> in their talents and abilities, and -- no less important -- upgrade
> their status within the community, and that will help them decide
> which larger tasks they could take upon themselves.

Well, I have commit access and I contribute to Org fairly often (though
recently time is an issue).

Emacs is the most important program on my PC.  I would like to do more,
but Emacs-core is daunting.  It’s hard to get into Emacs-core, not only
because you are dealing with something that’s fairly complex and it’s hard
to even identify tasks (to me), but also because I’d be scared of messing
something up.

I’m not saying the information isn’t there, simply that it’s overwhelming,
especially if you are more interested in improving existing code, instead
of, say, providing new modules.

Rasmus

--
Dobbelt-A