Re: Ping! Re: `font-spec` unable to retrieve :name of font

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Ping! Re: `font-spec` unable to retrieve :name of font
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 20:55:06 +1100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

Sorry for not responding earlier.

That's okay!

Emacs's font handling is deeply entrenched in the XLFD spec. That is true even on platforms that don't support XLFD, such as MS-Windows. So this is not a bug, it's the intended behavior, the code is working as designed.

*nod* Fair enough.

That said, I had a similar problem with fonts named like Foobar-12, see commit 7d5a7a4 which solved that. (The original problem is described in the discussion that started in http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-emacs-windows/2015-06/msg00001.html.) That problem could be solved because the part after the dash was a number, and a font's family cannot be a number. I don't know if we can do the same with this case. Which "family" names are we allowed to reject, exactly? Don't forget that the weight field of the XLFD spec, which follows the family, uses single-letter codes (although AFAIK "g" is not one of them); we ought not to trick ourselves into accidentally treating weight as part of the font name.

Yes, i gave some thought to possible heuristics that could be used in instances such as this, but didn't come up with anything practical .... i might see if i can use FontForge to change the name to something XLFD-friendly (e.g. 'InconsolataG').

Thanks!

Alexis.