Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 6a69725: Fix redisplay of frame title when curr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 6a69725: Fix redisplay of frame title when current buffer is killed
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 17:01:42 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 09:46:07 -0400
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> > +  /* Killing a buffer might have global effects which require
> > +     redisplaying frames.  For example, if the buffer's name appears
> > +     in the frame title.  */
> > +  windows_or_buffers_changed = 11;
>
> Hmm... this means that using with-temp-buffer will cause
> a full redisplay.  That's bad.

Yes, which is why I fixed it differently in bc0b340, which see.

> Whats the scenario where this was needed?  I mean: if the buffer's name
> appears in the frame, it's presumably because it's displayed in one of
> its windows, so place to catch this is when that window's buffer is
> changed, rather than when a buffer is killed.

I thought about that.  But changing the name of the frame's selected
buffer is just the tip of the iceberg: the frame title accepts all the
%-constructs that a mode line accepts, and so should be considered for
redisplay whenever we consider mode lines for redisplay.  So I
eventually set update_mode_lines there, as that is already handled in
x_consider_frame_title.