RE: Question on pcase

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Question on pcase
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 10:00:05 -0700 (PDT)

Good comments about the language, Alan.

One suggestion:

> 5. "the `pred' pattern form allows to simplify ...." is a very common
> solecism.  The verb "allow" needs a direct object, not an infinitive verb.
> That object can either be the person (or thing) who is being allowed to do
> something, or the thing (a noun or gerund) which is being allowed.  So
> here, you'd want one of
>   o - "the `pred' pattern form allows YOU to simplify ...." or
>   o - "the `pred' pattern form allows THE SIMPLIFICATION OF ...." or even
>   o - "the `pred' pattern form allows SIMPLIFYING ...."

It's usually simpler and clearer to use "let" than "allows
... to".  But it is usually better still to put the user first,
as the active subject of the action:

  You can use `pred' to ...

or if it's not clear what `pred' is:

  You can use pattern `pred' to ...

or:

  You can simplify ... using `pred'.

The user is the actor; pattern `pred' is the tool.

(I did not look at the original, but a guess might be that
someone reading Info should see PRED here (no quotes), not
`pred'.  Another guess, again without consulting the text,
is that perhaps you don't need both "pattern" and "form":
"pattern form".)

And I too thank Michael for helping us (all) understand the
obtuse creature that is `pcase'.  It is comforting (and all
too rare, it seems) to see such careful interest in helping
Emacs document itself.  Kudos - very helpful.