Re: IDE

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015 21:10:07 +0300

On 10/24/2015 08:42 PM, Drew Adams wrote:

I'm not contrasting TAGS with Gnu Global.  You are free to do
that.  I am not arguing in favor of TAGS over other indexing
and querying mechanisms.

Emacs doesn't have any real abstraction over TAGS files. etags.el basically operates on its contents.

The TAGS file feature defines an index format and an index
query mechanism.  That's all.  How and when the content of a
given index gets generated or updated is a different question.

The index doesn't even say what kind of hit it is. Is it a definition? Is it a reference? Is it both? Like, a method override.

And that generation/updating involves parsing, which has
been acknowledged to be the hard part.

There are several parts, of varying difficulties.

Everything you say in support of claiming that the data
structure "*is* a problem" is, in fact statements about
the problem of parsing, not the data structure format.

Nothing I've said about the file format yet is concerned with parsing.

If you want to argue that any use of *files* to hold the
index structure is problematic then do so explicitly.

Flat files, yes. Not any kind of files, obviously.