RE: load-path contains directories or directory names?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: load-path contains directories or directory names?
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 14:58:44 -0700 (PDT)

> > IMO, either remove and replace with 'expand-file-name', or describe both
> > with a preference to 'expand-file-name'.
>
> Oh, it doesn't already talk about expand-file-name? It should state the
> solution in terms of `expand-file-name', and then maybe mention in a note
> that it's implemented as a platform-path-correct use of `concat' under the
> hood.
> Or not mention `concat' at all, either way.

I think the doc about file and directory names _should_ mention
`concat', as that is the gotcha: users are often used to using
it to concatenate strings, and some naturally think of using it
for constructing file names.  (File names are strings, but not
all strings are file names.)

I think the doc should explicitly point out that `concat' has no
notion of file names and their syntax subtleties, and that
file-name construction and decomposition are the raison d'etre
for the functions described in (elisp) File Names and its subnodes.

But definitely, at least node Directory Names should not suggest
that users use `concat'.  On that I agree with you, and that's
the main point here.