Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only direct

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only directory names
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 20:47:36 +0200

On 10/26/2015 08:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

What's the benefit of this pickiness?

Which one?

I'd say both: especially when they're inconsistent.

Unless there's a real performance advantage (which I fail to see), I'd
rather go the other way and be more permissive and fix default-directory
so it also works correctly when it doesn't have a trailing slash.

We are permissive.  We just want to be consistent in the stuff we
generate.

load-path is a user-level variable. Changing package.el behavior is fine, but if we document load-path to only have "directory name" elements, some code might decide to rely on it.

Not sure if it's plausible to write code that would work on elements without trailing slash but wouldn't work without, but if it is, that's a more in the wrong direction, IMHO.