Re: IDE

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 23:09:32 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> On 10/26/2015 10:27 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>> I use etags-select for displaying multiple entries for the same key. The
>> line corresponding to each value is shown, so you can locate what you
>> want reasonably fast.
>
> That still means that the tool you are using doesn't know the kinds of
> these references.
>
> And the subject of this thread is "IDE". Modern IDEs do know stuff.

I was addressing the specific sub-topic about TAGS.

For knowing stuff you need tools which are as sophisticated as the
language they are working with, and there is no medium term solution for
that requirement as far as Emacs core is concerned on the C++ realm,
probably Java as well. There are external Emacs packages that are on
track for solving this problem, and an increasing number of features are
being implemented around those external packages. That makes this
discussion about IDEs on Emacs core to look like idle chatting.