Re: IDE

From: Nikolaus Rath
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 11:41:35 -0700

On Oct 27 2015, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Nikolaus Rath <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 21:02:43 -0700

>> > Detailed bug reports about missing or incomplete CEDET documentation
>> > are welcome.
>>
>> It's hard to provide details about undocumented functionality, if one
>> doesn't know which functionality the code provides (since it's not
>> documented).
>
> I guess I've misunderstood you, sorry.  You said:
>
>> Unfortunately, at least for me the "one bit of code" was not at all
>> obvious after reading the CEDET documentation. So while I believe that
>> any of Global/idutils/cscope would be good enough for the majority of my
>> use-cases, I wasn't able to make CEDET use any of them (or maybe CEDET
>> uses them, but I'm not actually invoking cedet with M-.?).
>
> My interpretation of that, perhaps incorrect, was that you tried to
> use some functionality and tried to find documentation about it, but
> either the documentation was inadequate or completely missing.

Well, I followed the instructions in the manual but (as far as I can
tell) didn't get support for Global/idutils/cscope. At the time I didn't
suspect anything was wrong - until I read here that there ought to be
such support. Thus my conclusion that the "obvious bit of code" isn't
all that obvious (in both necessity and content).

> Based on that interpretation, I suggested that you report what you
> tried to figure out from the documentation, but couldn't.

I would have expected the documentation to tell me that I need to do
something in order to get Global et al support (and ideally also *what*
I need to do).

Best,
-Nikolaus