Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only direct

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4d3a595: `load-path' should contain only directory names
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2015 18:25:52 -0400

> The manual says "directory name" ends in a slash, and talks about
> "file name of a directory" which doesn't.

I don't think we generally use the term "directory name" in such
a strict sense.  At the very least, in all these years, I never noticed
that this term had such a precise meaning and it's never bitten me.

And indeed, if you look for this in the texi documentation, you see
things like:

   means that the alist applies to any mode; or you can specify a
   subdirectory name (a string), in which case the alist applies to all
   files in that subdirectory.

     Here's an example of a @file{.dir-locals.el} file:

   @example
   ((nil . ((indent-tabs-mode . t)
            (fill-column . 80)))
    (c-mode . ((c-file-style . "BSD")
               (subdirs . nil)))
    ("src/imported"
     . ((nil . ((change-log-default-name
                 . "ChangeLog.local"))))))
   @end example

where "src/imported" lacks a trailing slash.

> The doc string used "directory name" while the strings in load-path
> didn't end in a slash.

That doesn't sound like a problem to me.  I still think:

   "directory name" is used all over the place to mean "with or without
   trailing slash, it doesn't matter", so the original doc-string
   was fine.

-- Stefan