Re: IDE

From: Nix
Subject: Re: IDE
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 16:09:36 +0000

On 27 Oct 2015, Nikolaus Rath said:

> On Oct 27 2015, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> My interpretation of that, perhaps incorrect, was that you tried to
>> use some functionality and tried to find documentation about it, but
>> either the documentation was inadequate or completely missing.
>
> Well, I followed the instructions in the manual but (as far as I can
> tell) didn't get support for Global/idutils/cscope. At the time I didn't
> suspect anything was wrong - until I read here that there ought to be
> such support. Thus my conclusion that the "obvious bit of code" isn't
> all that obvious (in both necessity and content).
>
>> Based on that interpretation, I suggested that you report what you
>> tried to figure out from the documentation, but couldn't.
>
> I would have expected the documentation to tell me that I need to do
> something in order to get Global et al support (and ideally also *what*
> I need to do).

The manual says

,----[ 7. Miscellaneous Commands ]
|    EDE can use external tools to help with file finding.  To do this,
| customize `ede-locate-setup-options'.
|
|  -- Variable: ede-locate-setup-options
|      List of locate objects to try out by default.  Listed in order of
|      preference.  If the first item cannot be used in a particular
|      project, then the next one is tried.  It is always assumed that
|      "ede-locate-base" is at end of the list.
`----

It is true that 'Miscellaneous Commands' is not a very good place for
this, and it doesn't note that this is not only used for C-c . f (which
I have never used, and would never use, since it doesn't have any
completions at all so feels like something from a previous era), but for
all file searches done by EDE, Semantic, etc. None of the available
options are documented at all: you have to dig through the source code.

FWIW, I got it to work via

(setq ede-locate-setup-options '(ede-locate-global ede-locate-locate
ede-locate-base))
;;...
(semantic-mode 1)
(semanticdb-enable-gnu-global-databases 'c-mode)
(semanticdb-enable-gnu-global-databases 'c++-mode)

but whether all of these are actually necessary or not (in particular,
whether the latter two options are redundant with part of the first) I
have no real idea.

--
NULL && (void)