RE: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: RE: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 10:10:31 +0000

On 29 Oct 2015 1:19 am, "Drew Adams" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > I'm not yet sure if this is worth merging to master, so I'd
> > very much appreciate opinions.
>
> FWIW, I amnot in favor of it.  I'd prefer that users consult
> the Isearch help for such info.

Ok, Thanks.

> I have many more togglable options, and Emacs might in the
> future also.

FWIW, the options are not hardcoded. So a different set can be displayed.

> And there are many aspects regarding the current Isearch state
> that it would be worthwhile indicating to users (either on an
> ongoing basis or on demand, depending on the aspect of state).
>
> The current value of a togglable variable, as well as the key
> to toggle it, is info that falls in that category: it is part
> of the current state.  I'd sooner see this info handled along
> with other state info.  We've discussed this in other threads,
> I believe.

I agree with you partially. The information of which options are active or relevant is a state info. Bit the info of which key toggles them is of general use (and I'd like to expose it to users who don't read the manual).