Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 10:42:03 +0000

> I'm leaning more towards other suggested solutions anyway.

Ok. Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've see 3 good suggestions here
on this thread, all of which I like better than my current solution.
What I list below are actually slightly modified versions in order to
help expose this stuff.

I'm ditching the two-line minibuffer I originally suggested. All of
the options below keep the minibuffer as a single line.
Listed in my order of preference.

1. On the right-edge of the minibuffer (if there's enough space),
display “[C-h m] Mode help” (or, if we're fine with rebinding C-h here
we can use just “[C-h] Help”). Hitting this key would the bring up
`isearch-mode-help`.
   This is probably the most consistent option, as plenty of other
Emacs features offer a similar (C-h help) indicator.
   If we go with this, I'll probably suggest some improvements to
`isearch-mode-help`.

2. On the right-edge of the minibuffer (if there's enough space),
display “[M-s] Options”. Hitting this key would then bring up a hydra
with all defined options under M-s (preferably something dynamically
generated, and not hardcoded, though this is just a detail).
   This would be the prettiest option. Hydras also support delaying
the display for a second or so, so people who know what they want
wouldn't have to see it.

3. Display an information similar to the prompt I originally
suggested, but on the mode-line.

In items 1 and 2, we could display the indicators on an idle timer if preferred.
Here's what the minibuffer might look like in that situation:

Isearch: search string                            [C-h] Help