Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: Collation tests in fns-tests.el
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:10:48 -0400

On 10/30/2015 4:28 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
You already said in that discussion what I'd suggest ;-)

Since Cygwin tries to be compatible to GNU/Linux (i.e. glibc), it
should indeed use some non-zero flags in its implementation of string
collation-dependent comparison.  IMO, it makes no sense not to do
that, since users expect that to happen.

Yes, I agree completely. The issue is implementation. Simply using the NORM_IGNORESYMBOLS flag yields comparison functions that can return 0 on unequal strings. Eric pointed out the problem with that; moreover, it seriously violates users' expectations and compatibility with glibc. I thought I had a way around that, but Corinna pointed out in https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-10/msg00559.html why my suggestion doesn't work. At this point I'm out of ideas.

Ken