Re: bug#17453: Isearch doesn't work properly with Follow Mode.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: bug#17453: Isearch doesn't work properly with Follow Mode.
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 11:59:26 +0000

Hello, John.

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 04:41:01PM -0700, John Wiegley wrote:

> > What I am proposing now is a solution where any library which needs to
> > manipulate things like window positions will be trivially upgradable to
> > working with Follow Mode, merely by replacing `window-start' by
> > `window*-start', etc.

> Ah, I see. How many libraries do you think would need this change?

I honestly don't know.  At a guess, I'd say several rather than many.
As a quick benchmark, there are 127 occurrences of set-window-start in
our lisp sources, in 59 files.

> Would using window-start become bad practice under this regime?

I hadn't actually thought of that.  Thinking about set-window-start
(rather than simply window-start), there will be lots of places where a
mode is explicitly handling its own windows (? speedbar.el, for example),
and set-window*-start would be the wrong thing.  But there are also
surely examples where set-window-start is currently used just to scroll
the text to a specific position.  Here set-window*-start would be
better.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).