Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Exposing Isearch toggleable options
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 12:42:16 +0000

>> 1. [...]
>
> Instead of the Help buffer we could open a Customizable-like buffer
> with widget-type fields, thus in addition to *showing* the current
> search options and info about keys to change them, also allow
> *changing* the current search options.

Sounds like a good addition.

>> 3. Display an information similar to the prompt I originally
>> suggested, but on the mode-line.
>
> We already have a precedent in C mode with mode-line like
> “C/lah ,” (note the space character inside, indicating Word mode).
> In Isearch doing the same will show something like “Isearch/c' w”
> (case-sensitive char-folded lax-whitespace word search).

While that's a fine addition to the current situation. I'm
specifically trying to expose the keys you use to change isearch
options. I suppose we could display those in a help-echo hint on those
mode-line abbreviations, but I prefer to make it very clear to the
user that they can type a key to see options.

>> In items 1 and 2, we could display the indicators on an idle timer if
>> preferred.
>> Here's what the minibuffer might look like in that situation:
>>
>> Isearch: search string                            [C-h] Help
>
> I doubt that users might want to see the same reminder “[C-h] Help”
> permanently or when paused to look at the highlighted search results.

You see that `Isearch: ' prompt every time you hit C-s, and that's
right beside the text you're typing. This Help reminder would be off
to the right edge (so it's far from the text you're typing). Besides,
if you just type C-h once, you'll see a buffer explaining (among other
things) how to disable this reminder.