Re: bug#17453: Isearch doesn't work properly with Follow Mode.

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: bug#17453: Isearch doesn't work properly with Follow Mode.
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 2015 19:46:12 +0000

>> How is this "not having isearch know about Follow mode"?  I see that
>> knowledge on every step of this patch, whenever you call the new
>> functions.
>
> It has no knowledge of the internals of Follow Mode.  window*-start is
> merely an abstract interface, currently with two implementations
> associated with it, a default one for normal windows and a Follow Mode
> one. [...]
> I'm not sure I really understand your question.  At several points in
> isearch, functions need to be called which eventually end up calling
> Follow Mode functions.

This is not about the window*- functions.
There are several places where your patch checks whether follow-mode
is on, turns it off, or turns it back on. I think this is still too
attached to follow mode.
Isearch really shouldn't worry about disabling or enabling other libraries.

The idiomatic Emacs way to do this is to add hooks to isearch, and run
them at useful places. Then packages like follow-mode can add stuff to
these hooks and do what they want (like, enable/disable itself).